Okay, so you may want to just stop reading now.
No, really. Stop.
Because once you learn how easy it is to make this holy-lord delicious caramel corn, there’s no going back.
And, I hate to tell you, but once you buy the main ingredients, there’s a lot more where that came from.
Crack candy popcorn.
You will not be able to stop eating it.
Trust me, I have tried.
Prepare to shake your head and say, “I just … I don’t know what happened. But it’s all gone. The entire bag. Gone.”
You can either thank me or hate me, but this is one worth trying.
And is quite festive for fast-approaching Halloween.
I intend to eat a bowl (or three) while watching something horrifyingly scary.
[Note: This was my first time buying corn syrup. Who knew it was hiding right there next to the honey?)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 300° F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with the cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the popcorn kernels, cover, and cook, shaking the saucepan constantly once the kernels begin to pop, until there is a 2- to 3-second interval between pops, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles and lightens in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour over the cooked popcorn and, with a rubber spatula, toss to coat.
- Spread the popcorn mixture on the prepared baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until deep amber, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, toss, and let cool on the baking sheet. (The popcorn will crisp as it cools.)
[Source: Real Simple]